Sunday, April 28, 2013

Blog Post #14

Teacher knows if you've done the e- reading:

This article is about teachers using e-books by CourseSmart; which is owned by Pearson, McGraw-Hill. These books are used for teachers to track their students progress for engaging the textbooks used for the class. They can see how many times the students access the books, if they are highlighting specific parts, etc. This is specifically used for the publishing company to make more editions of the textbooks. CourseSmart is another way of tracking students study habits. If they only open the book once before a test or if they never open it all. It's a study for teachers to improve their class and see how students are receiving the information given to them and how they apply it.

CourseSmartI, personally, think this system of checking students readings is very pointless in college. This method really does nothing for the students learning the information. I learn differently from the girl who sits beside me in class and the boy who sits on the other side. We are all different and wondering, whether or not we have opened a textbook we have does not help us learn it more. There are several classes in college where teachers tell you not to purchase a textbook. Textbooks are not always needed inside a college classroom because of other resources given by the professor. I think this method would be great for younger students who need the basic reading to comprehend the information. It would be great for elementary and middle school because they are assigned to read outside of the class for homework and they could be checked. It would work for younger students.

If I had to use the system, I would probably have to be talked to a lot about using the book. I have rarely used textbooks in some classes during college. I think if it was used I would feel obligated to read. I wouldn't read it because I was interested in the material but just because I knew I had to do it for a grade or whatever the circumstances are for the professor. I do not think it would be a great system for me to be a part of.

If I had the chance to interview Mr. Guardia, I would ask: what did he like about the system? Why did he choose to be a part of CourseSmart? What does he like about it? Is it more trouble for him to use than not to use?

If I could interview a student I would ask: Do you like the textbooks? Is it hard to use? What would you change about CourseSmart? Do you want to use this system? Does it help you more in the classroom?

My comment on this article would include information from this post and additional information. I would like to know why they came up with this system? or what was the real purpose of it? I would add that I think it is more time consuming for students who are already in college and trying to manage their time effectively. I do not think this is the best system they could have came up with for college students to use and maybe they should try a different approach.



No comments:

Post a Comment